Maureen's dog hanging out in the SHADE!
1. Make sure your dog is up-to-date on heartworm and tick medication. We give our dog Heartguard and Frontline every month.
2. When they are outside make sure there is plenty of fresh water and shade.
3. Do NOT give them ice water or water with ice cubes. This can cause muscle spams and possibly bloat (which can be deadly). An ice cube as a little treat is okay.
4. Know the signs of an overheated dog: excessive panting or difficulty breathing, increased heart and respiratory rate, drooling, mild weakness, stupor or even collapse.
5. NEVER leave your dog in a hot car even if the windows are cracked. Call the police if you see a dog or any pet in a car when it is hot outside. You could save his life!
5. Our husky sheds and blows his coat twice a year. We never shave him because he sheds. You can trim longer hair on your dog, but NEVER shave your dog. The layers of a dogs' coat protect them from overheating and sunburn.
6. Be aware of the ground temperature when you walk your dog. Hot asphalt can burn their sensative paw pads. We walk our dog in the morning and early evening when the temperature is not too high.
7. Fireworks can scare the living daylights out of a dog, so leave them safe at home if you are going to a party that will have fireworks. Our dog HATES fireworks and thunder.
8. If you take your dog to a party or BBQ, keep an eye on him. He might get a treat from a friend that could make him sick. We ask guests to not feed our dog. Also, avoid raisins, grapes, onions, chocolate and products with the sweetener xylitol.
9. Use "pet-friendly" products to treat your lawn and keep weeds at bay.
10. If your dog enjoys a few cicadas that's okay. Just make sure they don't eat too many.
What else would you like your friends with pets to know? Comment below...
Let's keep ALL pets safe when the weather heats up:) Feel free to "recommend" and share this info.
More from the ASPCA.
Melissa McCarthy is new to the director's chair ... but she's already acting like a BOSS ... the "Bridesmaids" star just FIRED an extra for mistreating her own little kid on set ... TMZ has learned.
It happened yesterday in Wilmington, NC ... where they're filming "Tammy," a comedy McCarthy is co-directing with husband and fellow first-timer Ben Falcone.
The extra, a woman in her 20s, brought along her child -- age approximately 4-5 -- for the daylong shoot by a lake ... and the standard $58 payday ... sources tell TMZ.
Witnesses say the young mom had been struggling with her kid all morning ... constantly harping on the child to "stop it" and quiet down ... loudly enough to disrupt the production, which included more than 200 extras.
Sources say the last straw came when the mom harshly jerked the child up in the air by the wrist -- and McCarthy saw it all. The director IMMEDIATELY had PAs bounce the woman ... saying she wouldn't tolerate abuse on her set ... and that was that.
The woman's identity was not disclosed. Reps for McCarthy had no immediate comment.
Moral of the story: Don't attempt anything shady around Melissa McCarthy ... she's ALWAYS ON WATCH ...
More at TMZ.com
We all want to be good wives to our husbands, but no one wants to be treated like a servant.
But such was the case in 1955 when Housekeeping Monthly ran an article about how to be a “good wife”… and by our standards, it’s pretty shocking.
Here are some quotes taken directly from the magazine … enjoy: