One of my New Year's Resolutions is TO BE A BETTER PARENT! Yes, I know... we never think we parent well enough but I know I can take the stress and work down a notch and put my family way up high at first place on my to do list.
Here are 5 things to think about to get that done...
1. Listen to your kids. Now that Allsbrook is talking more I really have to push myself to stop whatever I'm doing and listen to her. She is many times telling me exactly what she wants, needs, or thinks... and if I don't slow down and look her in the eyes I'll miss it.
2. Count to 10. No, really. Actually count to 10. We all know about this easy rule but how many of us actually use it?
3. No hollow threats/ promises. If you say it, mean it! Don't threaten to take away their favorite toy and then not do it. So, be careful what you say. You just may have to do it.
4. Be consistent. My oh so clever almost 3 year old has figured out if she doesn't get it from me, she can go to Dad. Sometimes it's because Daddy doesn't know what I've already said no to... and other times its because she knows he will do anything for a kiss from her. Stand firm! Don't let the begging, crying, whining, and tantrums get the best of you.
5. BE GOOD TO YOURSELF! Yes, actually out yourself first. (This is something I am terrible at...but working on.) A worn out, stressed, exhausted parent CAN NOT be the best parent they can be. You must take time for yourself to decompress. Work out, have a lunch with friends, grab a mani/ pedi. You have to do it... if you want to be the you can be for your family.
You can read the full article: CLICK HERE